The minor in Political Economy provides an opportunity to study one of three problems in contemporary political economy: (1) globalization; (2) Poverty, Inequality, and Policy; (3) Science, Technology, and Economic Development. Students will also encounter the historical foundation of these issues.
PE 100: Classical Theories of Political Economy
PE 101: Contemporary Theories of Political Economy
Three courses related to one of the three topics given below, with a statement explaining your course selection:
- Poverty, Inequality, and Policy
- Science, Technology, and Economic Development
See the PE Major Requirements & Policies Booklet for relevant course list.
Completing the Minor
- To apply for the minor, students must have completed at least one course for the minor at UCB with a grade of B or better, or have completed at least two courses for the minor (not necessarily at UCB) with a minimum GPA of 2.0, and not be in the final semester of undergraduate work. Completed applications are accepted during fall and spring semesters beginning the third week of instruction and through the last day of RRR week (not the last day of finals). During the summer, applications are accepted from early June to mid-August. Check the IAS website for semester-specific dates of application acceptance. Incomplete applications will be returned unread.
- No more than two courses may be taken from the same department.
- All courses counting for the minor must be taken for a letter grade.
- A minimum of three courses must be taken at UC Berkeley. All transfer courses must be approved by an advisor.
- PE 197, 198 and 199 cannot be used to fulfill minor requirements.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 must be achieved in all course work used to satisfy the minor requirements.
- Only one course can count for both a major and a minor.
- A complete PE minor application consists of:
- Minor Application Form and Program Worksheet (attached).
- A current BearFacts transcript with your name printed on it. Please highlight any courses that apply to the minor. Also, indicate which course (if any) will overlap between the minor and your major.
- Copies of transcripts from other colleges attended (if course work taken there will be counted for the minor). Electronic transcripts are accepted only if the relevant coursework also appears on your DARS report. If it does not appear on DARS, we require OFFICIAL transcripts. (We do not have access to transcripts in the Registrar’s Office.)
- The “Petition for Confirmation of Minor Program Completed” signed by the student and the major advisor. Petitions available at: https://ls-advise.berkeley.edu/fp/00minor.pdf.
This description is for introductory purposes only. Students interested in completing a minor in PE should consult the PE Requirements & Policies Booklet and the PE Minor Application.